On Tuesday February 2 1938, the Sisters of St Joseph arrived at The Trongate Hall in Granville to commence their work of Catholic education among the children of the district.
At that time, the Sisters, including Sr Bonaventure Darling, travelled daily from their convent at Holy Trinity for lessons. Parishioners were most generous with gifts of furniture and other necessities and provisions for the Sisters. Over 40 students started their schooling, but such was the enthusiasm shown by The Trongate Catholic community that numbers were increased to 75 within a few weeks.
The community also responded to the Sisters’ contribution to their faith education, and eventually in 1946, the parish of Holy Family was founded.
By 1952 the old hall had become so overcrowded with students that a new building was erected across the road. This was a dual-use construction, which housed a church and school, catering for Kindergarten to Year 6. Shortly afterwards in 1954, a convent was established at 178 Clyde Street.
In 1963 and 1967, further additions were made to the original building to cater for the greater numbers of students in the area. The Sisters also celebrated the opening and blessing of their new convent in 1970, which was located beside the school in The Trongate.
The opening of a new parish hall in the grounds of the school provided an excellent venue for both parishioners and school students, for special events and activities. Two new classrooms were added in 1987.
It was a sad occasion in 1987 when the Sisters ended their 50 years of administration at Holy Family Primary School. Their dedication and courage in the education of young students in the Catholic faith was carried on under the guidance of the first lay Principal, Mrs Carmel Cannon, and in later years by Mr Bernard Holland, Mr Kevin Etherington, Mrs Sue Guilfoyle and our present school Principal, Mrs Yvette Baird.
In 2010, Holy Family Primary School completed major building works including the construction of new classrooms and renovation of existing classrooms. A new library and the inclusion of the latest technology and modern furniture has been part of the project. The new buildings were formally blessed and opened in 2011, coinciding with the school’s 73rd birthday.
In 2013 Holy Family celebrated its 75th anniversary with a major event led by Bishop Anthony Fisher OP, welcoming past students from many eras. In 2014 the school mourned the sudden death of long term parish priest Father James Stack, and subsequently dedicated the school library as the Father James Stack Library in memory of this much loved shepherd of the community.
2017 marked the beginning of a new era as the former St Joseph’s Convent came back to life as the House of Welcome, a support service for refugees and asylum seekers operated by St Francis Social Services. Also in 2017, work commenced on transforming the old parish bingo room under the school hall into a state-of-the-art Learning Studio equipped to meet the needs of children with physical, intellectual and learning disabilities.
In the 21st Century, Holy Family Primary is known as a place that nurtures lifelong learning in students, parents and staff, and we encourage the pursuit of excellence in all areas of education according to each child's unique talents and needs. It is hoped that graduates of Holy Family Primary are capable of adapting to a world of change and that they are empowered to bring about a spirit of faith and hope for the future, as they continue to live out our school motto In Christ We Live, Love and Learn.
2018 marks the 80th birthday of Holy Family Primary School, and the continuation of generations of dedicated work to serve the mission of Catholic education in the Granville area.