OurStory3 oustory2 ourstory3 ourstory4
  
 

Our Story

A mission of the Sisters of St Joseph

Mary Mackillop
Tuesday February 2 1938, the Sisters of St Joseph arrived at The Trongate Hall in Granville to commence their work of Catholic education among the children of the district. At that time, the Sisters, including Sr. Bonaventure Darling, travelled daily from their convent at Holy Trinity for lessons.

Parishioners were most generous with gifts of furniture and other necessities and provisions for the Sisters. Over 40 students started their schooling, but such was the enthusiasm shown by The Trongate Catholic community, that numbers were increased to 75 within a few weeks.

The community also responded to the Sisters’ contribution to their faith education and eventually, in 1946, the parish of Holy Family was founded.

By 1952 the old hall had become so overcrowded with students that a new building was erected across the road. This was a dual use construction, which housed a church and school catering for Kindergarten – Year 6. Shortly afterwards, in 1954, a convent was established at 178 Clyde Street.

In 1963 and 1967 further additions were made to the original building to cater for the greater numbers of students in the area. The Sisters also rejoiced in the opening and blessing of their new convent in 1970, which was located beside the school in The Trongate.

The opening of a new parish hall in the grounds of the school provided an excellent venue for both parishioners and school students for special events and activities. Two new classrooms were added in 1987.

It was a sad occasion in 1987 when the Sisters ended their 50 years of administration at Holy Family School. Their dedication and courage in the education of young students in the Catholic faith was carried on under the guidance of the first lay principal, Mrs Carmel Cannon and in later years by Mr Bernard Holland, Mr Kevin Etherington and our present school principal, Mrs Sue Guilfoyle.

In 2010, Holy Family School completed major building works including the construction of new classrooms and renovation of existing classrooms. A new library and the inclusion of the latest technological applications and modern furniture has been part of the project. The new buildings were formally blessed and opened in 2011 coinciding with the school’s 73rd birthday.

 
   
  
 

Contact Us

Holy Family Primary
199 The Trongate 
East Granville
NSW 2142

tel: 9637 6020
fax: 9637 8464

Enquiry: *
select
Your name here: *
Your email here: *
Your message: *
RadEditor - HTML WYSIWYG Editor. MS Word-like content editing experience thanks to a rich set of formatting tools, dropdowns, dialogs, system modules and built-in spell-check.
RadEditor's components - toolbar, content area, modes and modules
   
Toolbar's wrapper  
Content area wrapper
RadEditor's bottom area: Design, Html and Preview modes, Statistics module and resize handle.
It contains RadEditor's Modes/views (HTML, Design and Preview), Statistics and Resizer
Editor Mode buttonsStatistics moduleEditor resizer
 
 
RadEditor's Modules - special tools used to provide extra information such as Tag Inspector, Real Time HTML Viewer, Tag Properties and other.
   

Contact Us

  • Holy Family Primary
    199 The Trongate 
    East Granville
    NSW 2142

    tel: 9637 6020
    fax: 9637 8464

  •  Send us an email
 
   
Hidden UpdatePanel, which is used to help with saving state when minimizing, moving and closing docks. This way the docks state is saved faster (no need to update the docking zones).